Burn permits are issued under the authority granted by Nebraska State Statue 81-520.01 and are subject to the following rules and regulations adopted by the Hickman Rural Fire District.
Burn permit applications must be picked up at the station on Tuesdays from 6:50 to 7:00 p.m. and are issued at that time.
- The fire SHALL BE ATTENDED AT ALL TIMES with sufficient means on hand to control the burning, until the fire has completely burned out Burned brush, logs, or other solid materials must be covered with earth or thoroughly saturated with water before the attendant leaves the site.
- No building materials, treated lumber, railroad ties, plastics, rubber, oil, pesticides, other hazardous waste, hazardous materials or household garbage shall be included in the fire at any time.
- The fire(s) shall be at least 50 feet from your own building(s) and 300 feet from a neighboring building.
- Open burning will not be permitted if the wind conditions exceed 15 mph: any such permit that was previously issued will be considered invalid if the wind exceeds 15 mph.
- No fires shall be lit before and shall be extinguished prior to the times stated by the office issuing the permit.
- An authorized representative of the Hickman Rural fire Department may conduct on-site Inspections at any time. Failure to follow these provisions governing the burning may lead to the revocation of this permit.
- Any fire, which is out of control and results in the summoning of any fire department, is subject to possible legal action. The property owner and person supervising the burn accepts all financial responsibility for any costs Incurred (including fire suppression cost) if the fire becomes out of control.
- The fire may be extinguished by the Hickman Rural Fire Department regardless of whether a permit is issued if: (1) in the opinion of the officer, the conditions have changed and have become too dangerous to allow an open fire to continue burning; (2) if complaints are received regarding the fire/smoke; (3) If any of the above conditions at this permit have been Violated.